Slab : What are Difference between main bars and Distribution bars
A very nice video tutorial presented by Sami of civilglobal.com on different between main bars and distribution bars in slab. If you are new or students, you should watch this video tutorial today.
Here are some main point listed down from the video. All contents are copyright of civilglobal.com
1) Function of Main Bars in Slab.
Main bars are placed at the shorter span direction, to transfer (B.M.) developed at the bottom of the slab to the
2) Function of Distribution Bars in Slab.
Distribution Bars (D.B.) are used in the slab to resist the shear stress because the cracks are devloped due to shear
stress on the top of the slab.
Main Bars (M.B.)
1) Main bars are place at the shorter span direction.
2) Main bars are used at the bottom of the slab.
3) For main bars we select high (dia) of steel.
4) In one way slab, the slab is supported one direction or side, so there should be placed main bars.
Distribution Bars (D.B.)
1) (D.B.) are placed at the longer span direction
2) (D.B.) are used at the top of the slab.
3) (D.B.) select the lesser (dia) of steel.
Images are courtesy of civilglobal.com